Thursday 26 July 2007

Feast of St Joachim & St Anne


Today is the fourth anniversary of my ordination to the priesthood. Not a big milestone but, certainly, a time to reflect on these last years and take stock. At his ordination a priest is asked the followinf questions, together they are a framework for a priests life.

EXAMINATION OF THE CANDIDATE

Bishop: My son, before you proceed to the order of the presbyterate, declare before the people your intention to undertake this priestly office.

Are you resolved, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to discharge without fail the office of priesthood in the presbyteral order as a conscientious fellow worker with the bishops in caring for the Lord's flock?

I am.

Bishop: Are you resolved to celebrate the mysteries of Christ faithfully and religiously as the Church has handed them down to us for the glory of God and the sanctification of Christ's people?

I am.

Bishop: Are you resolved to exercise the ministry of the word worthily and wisely, preaching the Gospel and explaining the Catholic faith?

I am.

Bishop: Are you resolved to consecrate your life to God for the salvation of his people, and to unite yourself more closely every day to Christ the High Priest, who offered himself for us to the Father as a perfect sacrifice?

I am, with the help of God.

The last response is crucial. I cannot do this on my own, but with God everything is possible.

No comments: