Sunday 27 May 2007

Solemnity of Pentecost


Happy Feast Day!
I came across this wee prayer in an airport chapel a few years ago as I nervously awaited a flight (I am not easily scared but flying always uneases me!) It seems to fit the day.

Come Holy Spirit

Come, Holy Spirit, give me happiness and contentment with my life.
And the Holy Spirit said no. your life is full of opportunities. Happiness is your choice.

Come, Holy Spirit, free me of pain and suffering.
And the Holy Spirit said no.
There are some things that only pain can teach you.

Come, Holy Spirit, make me grow.
The Holy Spirit said no.
I will prune you and cut you back to make you more fruitful.

Come, Holy Spirit, give me patience.
And the Holy Spirit said no.
You learn patience in the midst of the trials and troubles that come your way.
Patience is not free; it is earned.

Come, Holy Spirit, take away my pride.
The Holy Spirit said no.
Pride is part of you. It may even prod you to excellence.
Just you control and direct it.

Come Holy Spirit.

And the Spirit said:

We wouldn’t be having this conversation if I weren’t already here!

1 comment:

Kate said...

This has been prodding at me ever since I read it. Thank you!

Oh, and thank you for the reference. I got the job!

Love

Kate